News & Events
Becoming a Certified Internal Auditor: Your Step-by-Step Guide
- October 20, 2023
- Posted by: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Category: Blogs
An Internal Auditor is a professional with the crucial role of reviewing an organisation’s internal processes, operations and compliance to ensure robust controls, risk management, and business continuity. CIA certification enables these professionals to demonstrate their expertise in protecting an organisation’s assets and reputation while improving operational efficiency.
A certified internal auditor is primarily engaged in internal audits to evaluate the effectiveness of an organisation’s internal controls, perform risk assessment, evaluate and recommend improvements, monitor regulatory compliance, detect fraud, act as an advisor and lead an organisation to financial and reputational growth.
To become a certified internal auditor, a professional must follow a standard set of guidelines, starting with meeting the eligibility criterion, obtaining required skills, enrolling in the certified internal auditor course, appearing for the exam and obtaining the CIA certification.
Eligibility Criterion for CIA Certification
As CIA certification is an internationally recognised credential, it requires a professional to meet its eligibility criteria regarding educational qualifications, professional experience and required skill set.
To be eligible for the certified internal auditor credential, a candidate must have-
- Bachelors in Commerce (Honours) with Accounting as the major subject
- Associate’s degree or above
- A foundation degree/Higher national diploma/diploma of higher education
- With an Associate degree, 60 months of internal auditing or equivalent work experience is required.
- With a Bachelor’s degree, 24 months of internal auditing or equivalent work experience is required.
- With a Master’s degree, 12 months of internal auditing or equivalent work experience is required.
As the certified internal auditor course encompasses fundamentals of internal auditing with regular practice sessions on managing audit activities, execution, execution, progress tracking and evaluating your business acumen, CIA certification requirements include a professional being adept in
- Internal audit standard knowledge
- Audit techniques and methodologies
- Financial knowledge
- Ethical and legal understanding
- Problem-solving skills
- Analytical abilities
- Attention to detail
- Project management skills certification
- Continuous learning
- Communication skills
To be eligible for a CIA certification, the candidate must have high moral character and professional integrity. Professionals need to obtain a signed character reference from their supervisor, CGAP, CCSA, CRMA, CFSA, and CIA as proof of their high moral character.
Applying for the Exam
Once you meet the defined eligibility criterion, you need to register for the CIA certification exam online, submit the CIA certification cost fee and then follow the following steps-
- Enrol for the certified internal auditor course, leverage study materials and mock tests and devise a preparation strategy to prepare for the CIA certification exam.
- Take the exam and wait for the result.
- Once you pass the exam, provide proof of work experience in educational eligibility, internal auditing and character integrity.
- Upon document acceptance and verification, obtain your CIA certification and expand your career opportunities across the roles of internal auditor, audit manager, risk analyst, compliance officer, fraud investigator, forensic accountant, and financial auditor roles.
Join Netrika to realise your aspiration of becoming certified internal auditors.
Netrika Consulting is a professional risk and integrity management company that works in emerging and frontier markets to advise customers on technical, operational, and business risks.
Netrika was recently awarded the “Best Security Consulting Company of the Year-2023” by BW Security, which only adds a feather to the many achievements and deep understanding of industry dynamics.
Netrika is committed to offering professionals with specialised training programmes that offer significant industry insights. We boast of a team of seasoned staff with two decades of experience and elite certifications who have provided career-defining theoretical and practical skills to help candidates thrive to the top of their professional positions. Our designed CIA certification courses offer real-world insights tailored to the dynamic landscape of internal auditing. The certified internal auditor course keeps you up-to-date with the latest industry trends, ensuring a thorough CIA exam preparation for you to obtain the CIA certification successfully.